Editor, Journal of Transformative Education
November 1, 2015
Statement of Purpose
The purpose of this call is to solicit proposals for an individual or individuals to join the current editorship of the Journal of Transformative Education as of July 1, 2016 and, as of January 1, 2017, assume full responsibility for the editorship of the journal. From July 1, 2016 to January 1, 2017, the successful applicant(s) will co-edit the journal with the current editor, who will step down as of January 1, 2017.
The applicant(s) should:
- have a distinguished record of scholarly research and professional accomplishments in the field of transformative learning and transformative education;
- exhibit superior editorial ability and have prior editorial board or review experience, preferably with the Journal of Transformative Education (JTED) and/or comparable peer-reviewed journals in higher and adult education or human resource development;
- demonstrate an understanding of and sensitivity to a range of modes of inquiry commonly used in the field as indicated in JTED’s purpose statement;
- reflect the broad-based philosophical orientation of AAACE, one that is inclusive of diverse settings and arenas of practice in adult, higher, or work-related learning ; and
- be a current member(s) of AAACE.
Duties (Effective January 1, 2017)
From the period of June 1, 2016 to January 1, 2017, the successful applicant will share the following duties related to the editorship of the journal. As of January 1, 2017 the successful applicant will assume full responsibility for fulfilling these duties.
The editor(s) will be responsible for the editorial supervision and continuing intellectual development of a journal that provides scholarly leadership in the field of transformative education. The journal provides a forum representing diversity of theory, research design, methodology, and instructional practice.
The editor(s) will provide leadership in the design of the manuscript format, scope, and content of published articles, and in the supervision of manuscript receipt and editorial review. The editor(s) will establish, implement, and maintain a timely review process. The editor(s) will be expected to work with the commercial vendor (currently Sage Publications) to establish and implement a timely and effective system for manuscript review, editing, proofreading, and production.
The editor(s) will assist in the presentation of an annual report at the AAACE conference and also report to consulting editors attending the semi-annual meeting of the International Transformative Learning Conference. This report is prepared by the publisher (currently Sage). It provides information on the status and functioning of the journal and includes a delineation of any concerns that require assistance and/or action, such as budgeting matters, rate or quality of submissions, and other issues as they arise. In addition, the editors are responsible for contributing to the strategic planning for the journal.
The AAACE Publications Committee will provide an advisory role with regard to major policy matters and editor selection and continuance in accordance with AAACE policy and the terms of the contract with the publisher. Any major policy changes, personnel selections, or fiscal matters require approval of the AAACE Board at the recommendation of the Executive Committee of AAACE.
The Journal of Transformative Education is currently published through Sage. The new editor(s) will work with the current editors to insure a smooth transition and the continuation of a good working relationship with the publishing firm. This transition process will include attention to and revision of (if appropriate) the panel of consulting editors.
The editor(s) will:
- be appointed for a six-month term serving as co-editor with the current editor, beginning June 1, 2016, and ending January 1, 2017;
- be appointed for a three-year term, beginning January 1, 2017, which may, upon the agreement of the editor(s), institution(s), AAACE Publications Committee and the AAACE Board of Directors, at the recommendation of the Executive Committee, be renewed for a two-year final term of service. Editors who wish to renew their term should inform the Publications Committee within eighteen months of the expiration of the original term. Renewal is not automatic, but understood to be contingent upon satisfactory past performance as judged by the Publications Committee, Executive Committee, and the Board of Directors;
- become familiar with the contract with the publisher and carry out work in accordance with agreed on requirements;
- arrange for manuscript solicitation and peer review; select and revise articles and obtain all other professional contributions for publication in the Journal. As necessary, the editor(s) shall secure the assistance of a book review editor;
- publish four issues per year in a timely, organized and appropriate manner that is consistent with the currently established publication cycle. This includes the delivery of the manuscript to the publisher in accord with terms agreed to with the publisher, and thereafter, it shall be the responsibility of the publisher to ensure that the Journal is published in accord with the terms of their agreement with AAACE;
- supervise the editorial process from manuscript receipt and review through final edited manuscript, which will then be turned over to a commercial vendor (currently, Sage) for production, publication, and dissemination in a timely schedule;
- Participate in a joint session with other AAACE journals on “How to Write for AAACE journals” at the annual AAACE/CPAE conferences and if possible the AERC and the International Transformative Learning Conference; and
- select and appoint editorial board members to annual terms and review the panel of reviewers on an annual basis.
The following requirements are applicable to the full tenure of the successful applicant, starting January 2017. From June 1, 2016 to January 1, 2017, these requirements will be the responsibility of the current editor.
Candidates for the position must submit:
- vita(e) with precise background information on editorial and publishing experiences;
- a statement regarding their projected goals and the methods to be employed to achieve them;
- a plan and schedule for effecting the transition and selection of editorial board members;
- a letter of support from an immediate supervisor and an appropriate fiscal representative of the institution. This letter should state with clarity and commitment all specifics relative to institutional support such as release time and production assistance for the duration of the contract. Institutional support must include a sufficient number of graduate assistants hours to complete work requirements satisfactorily; sufficient work space and equipment; and electronic support. In addition to the AAACE contribution, institutional support should enable the editor(s) to complete all requirements of the contract successfully; and
- a budget showing projected expenses for the three year period, including personnel, equipment and other (telephone, duplicating, postage, supplies, travel) categories. Designations should be made reflecting available institutional contributions, direct or in-kind, as well as levels of support needed from AAACE.
The editor(s) of the Journal of Transformative Education shall receive an annual stipend of $6,000 for each year within the initial three year term. If their appointment is renewed, the editor(s) shall receive the same stipend for each of the next two years. All annual payments shall be paid in one installment.
This stipend is intended to enhance the publication of the Journal of Transformative Education, in conjunction with institutional funding. It is expected that these funds will be used to help defray the costs of travel to the annual AAACE, CPAE, AERC, and the transformative learning conference meetings, at which they are expected to provide annual reports, as well as conduct sessions on how to write for The Journal of Transformative Education. Such funds can also be utilized for the reimbursement of staff time, materials, and postage used in the normal conduct of Journal business that is considered standard and appropriate. Such funds will be accounted for in the annual report to AAACE completed by the editor(s).
Proposals will be screened in the following order:
- AAACE Publications Committee
- AAACE Executive Committee
- AAACE Board of Directors – final approval.
- January 1, 2016 – Release of Official Call for proposals for Co-editor
- February 15, 2016 – Submit a letter of intent to submit a proposal
- April 1,, 2016 – Full proposal due to the Publications Committee
- May 1, 2016 – Final Decision by the AAACE Board
- June 1, 2016 – Join existing editorship as Co-editor
- January 1, 2017 – Assume full responsibility for editorship of JTED.
- Send both letters of intent and proposals to:
Amy D. Rose
Professor Emerita, Adult and Higher Education
Northern Illinois University