The Adult Higher Education Alliance offers conference scholarships that provide funds for travel and lodging expenses plus a free conference registration. This year, two scholarships will be awarded. The Arthur Chickering Scholarship and the Larry Murphy Scholarship.
The Arthur Chickering Scholarship was established by members of the AHEA in 1999 to commemorate the contribution of Dr. Arthur Chickering to adult higher education in the area of student-centered learning. The scholarship includes a free conference registration and reimbursement of up to $750 for travel and lodging.
The Larry Murphy Scholarshipp was established in memory of the founder and past-president of the Alliance. The scholarship is designated for a professional educator, faculty, or staff member new (fewer than five years) to the profession who will be attending their first Alliance Conference. The scholarship includes a free conference registration and reimbursement of up to $750 for travel and lodging.
- Submit an application by the due date of October 30, 2015. The application can be found here: Conference 2016 Scholarship Application.
- Award notification will be by November 5, 2015.
- Submit with your application a brief paper using the following criteria:
- Describe the purpose of applying for this scholarship. How does this scholarship apply to your profession or academic studies?
- Describe your interest in attending the AHEA Conference.
- Describe your interests and accomplishments in the field of andragogy/adult education.
- Use formatting described below.
- Submit a proposal to make a presentation at the conference. If you did not submit your presentation proposal by September 30, 2015, use this link to submit your presentation proposal: Conference 2016 CFP Form.
- Student requirement: Ask your faculty advisor submit an email on your behalf (details below).
- After the proposal is accepted, register and attend the conference on March 10-11, 2016. You must attend the entire full 2 days of the conference. Take notes of your experience, what you learned, and how the AHEA helped you as a student, professional, or in your personal development.
- After the conference, by March 30, 2016, submit a 5 page paper in APA format (to cite sources as needed). This paper should be a coherent reflective summation of your learning or perceived benefits of the conference. It should be framed within the overall theme of the conference. Email the paper to the Scholarship chair: Dr. Thomas Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Make email subject: conference reflection paper.
- Once your paper and all relative conference expense receipts have been received, AHEA will send a reimbursement check via the mailing address you provide.
Application paper format:
- 1″ margins.
- Double space.
- 12-point Times New Roman font.
- 1-3 pages.
- Include your name, scholarship requested, and page numbers in each page header.
- File types accepted: .docx, .doc, .rtf.
- Maximum file size: 1MB.
|Completed application submitted||October 30, 2015|
|Notification of award||November 30, 2015|
|Conference registration||December 15, 2015|
|Conference 2016||March 10-11, 2016|
|Reflective conference paper||March 30, 2016|
Student’s advisor email message
- Send to: email@example.com
- Subject line: student name as it appears on your application.
- Message: “As faculty advisor, I attest the applicant is in good academic standing and meet requirements for scholarship.”
- As faculty advisor you may include a brief statement if desired.